Daily King James Bible Verse

Daily Quote

Sunday, October 2, 2011

This Year's 4-H Field Trip

My oldest son, Zachariah, is guest blogging today. I hope you enjoy his post.

This year, we went to the Penobscot Marine Museum for our annual 4-H field trip. I got lots of pictures and I will show some of them to you in this post.

Ship Model

DSCF2255 

We started at the gallery, where they had ship models and some art work. Here a lady told us some about the museum, or campus as she called it.

We also were separated into three groups, according to our ages. I was with the oldest, the Teen, group. Nathaniel and Josiah were in the middle group, the Juniors; and the girls were with the Cloverbuds.

DSCF2257 DSCF2281

 

 

 

 

 

 

The next few stops, the Merithew and Fowler-True-Ross houses, showed us the lives of sea captains in Maine.

The Merithew House had lots of art and models, and a whole room lined pretty much wall to wall with pictures of sea captains who lived in Searsport. They said to look for your last name there, so I did. No luck. One of my friends did though.

They set up the Fowler-True-Ross House as close as they could to how it looked when he was living there. It also had pictures showing how the children of sailors and sea-captains lived in Maine.

DSCF2291

DSCF4275

 

 

 

 

 

After we left the Fowler-True-Ross House, we crossed the History Garden (shown on left) and went to the Yard in the Yard (shown on right, picture provided by Momma); where we learned about sailing a ship and had a sort of tug-of-war. The man who was leading us then selected two boys, who happened to be brothers, and set them at the winch. The rest of us were the anchor. The two boys pulled the entire group, who were pulling hard, all by themselves! The man explained that with the winch, each of the boys had the strength of six men.

DSCF2293 DSCF2298

 

 

 

 

 

We went to the Searsport Congregational Church next. I can’t remember exactly how old it is, but it is still in use. The congregation lets the museum show it off to visitors at certain hours, but the museum doesn’t own it. Off to the side they have a book with old pictures of the church, which most of the group looked at.

 DSCF2313 DSCF2314

 

 

 

 

 

The last place my group went to was the Old Town Hall. This has building is now showing models of Maine fishing ships, and one even lets you pretend to be a fisherman (shown on left).

After that, my group went back to the Yard in the Yard, where all of the groups would join back up together. I, however, obtained permission from the groups leader to go explore the buildings behind the Yard, which we hadn’t got to. Below are the best of the pictures I took from that exploration:

 DSCF2328DSCF2330 DSCF2329DSCF2324 

I hope I’m speaking for the entire group when I say that we had a good time there and learned a lot. I think you will enjoy a trip to this museum yourself. Click here to find out more about them at their website.

I want to thank Momma for letting me post this on her blog.

~Zachariah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...